Who Are the Students of TTR?
Taking the Reins was created with historically underserved, teenage girls in Los Angeles in mind. A unique oasis in the middle of the concrete jungle, TTR is a space to learn from doing, and to access personal strength and potential.
Approximately 80% of TTR’s students attend Title 1 schools throughout Los Angeles and live below the poverty line. Donations ensure that no girl is ever turned away from programming due to inability to pay. Each student meets with one of our Program Managers to discuss payment.
We strive to provide an engaging and nurturing environment where all individuals feel respected, valued and equitably supported to reach their full potential. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory and anti-racist approach in our policies, teaching and programs.
Schools & Communities We Serve
- Berendo Middle School
- Beyond the Bell – L.A. Unified School District’s after-school program
- Big Sisters of Los Angeles – a mentoring program
- Bishop Conaty – Our Lady of Loretto High School
- Boys and Girls Club of Burbank – recreational and educational activities for youth
- Camp Scott – a county probation camp for girls in Saugus
- Camino Nuevo High School
- Convenant House
- Dolores Mission Community Day School – a Los Angeles County alternative high school at Dolores Mission
- Echo Park Boys and Girls Club – recreational and educational activities for youth
- Five Acres – a group home for L.A. County foster children in Altadena
- Girls Today Women Tomorrow – a mentoring group for teens in East L.A.
- Hillsides Home for Children – a home for abused and neglected children in Pasadena
- Hollywood High School
- One Voice – a mentoring program for high school students
- Optimist Youth Homes – a group home for teens
- PALS (Police Activities League) – an at-risk-youth program coordinated by the police officers in the Hollenbeck, North Hills and Hollywood areas
- Sacred Heart High School
- Theodore Roosevelt Middle School
- Union Rescue Mission – serving homeless families
- Variety Boys and Girls Club – recreational and educational activities for youth in East L.A.
- Virgil Middle School
- WYSE – Women and Youth Supporting Each Other
- Youth Fair Chance – a youth organization that provides gang intervention programs and an on-site alternative high school in Pico Union
- Youth Referral Program – a delinquency prevention program under the jurisdiction of the Northeast Division of the Los Angeles Police Department
- YWCA of Glendale