Communities We Serve
Taking the Reins was created specifically for girls who would not normally have an outdoor space with access to horses, farm animals and gardening a place to develop the life-skills necessary when dealing with life on a ‘ranch’. We refer to them as the Four Pillars; Confidence, Responsibility, Teamwork and Leadership.
To that end, TTR’s After School Program serves girls attending Title 1 schools throughout Los Angeles at no cost to the girls and their families. Our weekend programming is offered to all girls in Los Angeles on a sliding scale, ensuring no girl is ever turned away due to lack of funding.
Schools & Communities We Serve:
- Berendo Middle School
- Beyond the Bell – L.A. Unified School District’s after-school program
- Big Sisters of Los Angeles – a mentoring program
- Bishop Conaty – Our Lady of Loretto High School
- Boys and Girls Club of Burbank – recreational and educational activities for youth
- Camp Scott – a county probation camp for girls in Saugus
- Camino Nuevo High School
- Convenant House
- Dolores Mission Community Day School – a Los Angeles County alternative high school at Dolores Mission
- Echo Park Boys and Girls Club – recreational and educational activities for youth
- Five Acres – a group home for L.A. County foster children in Altadena
- Girls Today Women Tomorrow – a mentoring group for teens in East L.A.
- Hillsides Home for Children – a home for abused and neglected children in Pasadena
- Hollywood High School
- One Voice – a mentoring program for high school students
- Optimist Youth Homes – a group home for teens
- PALS (Police Activities League) – an at-risk-youth program coordinated by the police officers in the Hollenbeck, North Hills and Hollywood areas
- Sacred Heart High School
- Theodore Roosevelt Middle School
- Union Rescue Mission – serving homeless families
- Variety Boys and Girls Club – recreational and educational activities for youth in East L.A.
- Virgil Middle School
- WYSE – Women and Youth Supporting Each Other
- Youth Fair Chance – a youth organization that provides gang intervention programs and an on-site alternative high school in Pico Union
- Youth Referral Program – a delinquency prevention program under the jurisdiction of the Northeast Division of the Los Angeles Police Department
- YWCA of Glendale